Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tonight




Chicken soup. Bread and grapes. Janie lugs the silver stock pot from fridge to table, places the settings, flops a bag of rolls next to the pot.

I scoop a tornado of papers from desk to trash. "Momma," Jane calls, "come have dinner." We eat. We smear the rolls with butter, dunk 'em deep in the soup. Crumbs fall to the floor.

Later, I splay the night with temper.

Craig raises his eyebrows. I frown, hands on my hips.

And Jack. Jack tootles down the dining room bench in black rain boots. "Daddy," he chimes, "you're the king of this castle," he hops one foot to the other, flaps his arms for balance. His boots clap loud against the hardwood when he jumps down.

His words wash up around my ankles like ocean surf. The king of this castle. For a moment the world pauses. King of the castle. How do you treat the king of the castle? Every one waits for their cue.



3 comments:

Melissa Campbell said...

Out of the mouths of babes... (smile) And they do it with such innocent grace. Peace and blessings to your house today.

Heather said...

Oh, I just HATE moments like that.
And... I love them.

Praise God for the conviction that hurts so much it leads to change.
Your honesty brings reality and inspiration, Bethany.

Anonymous said...

"Later, I splay the night with temper."

Oh, how this has been my day, week, my year.

I long for a heart of gratefulness and I look forward to expanding my list... but I will be honest, it's been difficult. I find more things to complain and be discontent about than to be thankful for.

I am tired of being tired.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" said Teddy Roosevelt.

I think I need to ponder on this.

Deeply.

Your words here (all of them) cause me to reflect on Christ and to want to be a better wife and mother.

Thank you.