Monday, October 25, 2010

Lullaby




"I wanna see Jesus hanging on the cross," she sings. "I wanna see Jesus hanging on the cross." I sneak down the hallway, step around squeaky boards. I hear it again, "I wanna see Jesus hanging on the cross." From the top bunk she sings in the dark.

"Watch ya singing?"

"Oh, just that I want to see Jesus hanging on the cross."

"Why is that?"

"I'm just singing it like a song."

"Pretty amazing what he did for us, huh?"

"Yeah."

"I love you, Janie."

"I love you, Momma."

"I'm glad you're my daughter."

The night trails off and I hold onto her song.

4 comments:

Susan Cowger said...

Jesus said we need to become like children. I'm glad for your recording of the moments so I have a template. Love you!

Mommy Emily said...

this gave me shivers.

Heather said...

You share such beauty in all your ordinary goings-on in your home.
Have a wonderful day.

amy in peru said...

I can't seem to leave your blog. I love it so much...

and I'm not trying the whole flattery part either.

:)

amy in peru