Monday, April 27, 2009
Fire Roasted Vegetables
After watching thrift stores for a year, Craig finally found a BBQ. Although I will miss the thrill of lighting our old grill without igniting clothing, hair, or nearby children, Craig was having most of the so called fun anyway. Our top marks go to the Habitat For Humanity Surplus Store. Did I mention that we also purchased tile? $4.00 worth of tile and we can re-do the whole bathroom with it!
Here's some fun we've been having with the BBQ:
Fire Roasted Veggies:
1 sweet onion
1 red bell pepper
2-4 c. green beans
balsamic vinegar syrup*
1 T. rosemary
1. Chop onion and bell pepper and combine with beans.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar syrup*.
4. Grind rosemary to a powder using a pestle and sprinkle over vegetables.
5. Toss to coat and dump in BBQ grill basket (see pic above).
6. BBQ on medium heat for 5 min. Stir and roast another 5 min.
7. Cool and serve along side your favorite meat.
Balsamic Vinegar Syrup*
In a sauce pan bring one cup of balsamic vinegar to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer until the vinegar reduces to 1/3 cup. Pour into a glass measuring cup to cool, then transfer to a drizzle container. Enjoy over vegetables, salads, sandwiches, or meat, a gourmet accent to almost any meal. One article even suggested trying it over vanilla ice cream!
Any other grilling tips or recipes?